Saturday, July 22, 2017

Speedway - "Kind of a nice little town"

We were just watching the news, and they were interviewing a couple that was clearly from out of town, heading into the Brickyard. I believe the couple was from California, though I didn't catch where. The couple was raving about what a great place IMS is to see a race and what a cool city Indianapolis is. She also added that Speedway is "kind of a nice little town."

That comment struck me . . . "kind of." That sounds like, "Speedway has nice parts, but . . .". The first part is good, but the second part of that statement (but . . . ) is bothersome. What to do?

For my part, I intend to shop locally as much as I can. Would that there was more competition in certain sectors locally. For example, Ave's Auto Repair is a place that I will not patronize. 500 Automotive, while not in Speedway, is the place to go; owned and operated by a bona fide gentleman. Charlie Brown's is good, but I think I like it more because it is a Speedway original than for the food. Dawson's is very friendly and the food is good enough. Union Jack is the Speedway Pizza King (TM) and in the running for the best bar in Speedway (along with Dawson's).

I am disappointed that Mister Lino's closed, but I am as much to blame as the next person for that. I was only in there, perhaps, three or four times. Then again, I live near Meadowood park; I would probably patronize a place like that a lot more if it was in the complex w/ Kroger or across the street. (Replacing the Dollar General?)

I must confess that I have not been to the Speedway farmer's market, and I am disappointed in myself for this failure. I intend to go and make purchases; hopefully it will be this coming week.

I think what can be done, on a public level, is an investment in the "small things." One thing that I will compliment locally is the manhole covers in the old town near Main.


I think that our bus stops could be improved. They don't necessarily require more money, but they do require investment of thought, energy, and creativity.

A quick google search gets this:

The idea of a library at the bus stop seems fun, if maybe ill-fated. Nonetheless, I can't imagine that there is more money wrapped up in building a bus stop with some character, like the one above, as opposed to a bland IndyGo stop.

If I had a wish list to fulfill, I think at least two more roundabouts through Speedway would be at the top. I will have more to say on that later.

In the end, I suppose we (myself very much included) get the Town we deserve.

2 comments:

  1. First, unless 500 Automotive has moved recently, it is in Speedway, specializing on foreign vehicle repair. Perhaps our visitors were not as impressed as us locals are with all our bars and restaurants. I am appreciative of the two retail shops that bring us unique clothing, accessories and then the antiques (of course the for sale sign isn't a nice thought). Then I am even more appreciate of SIK Karting, great family entertainment. Charlie Brown's is a place the race car drivers love and me too as I can get breakfast or steak anytime I want it. As for the roundabout, I have a wish for everyone who wishes to use it to be made to watch a short video clip (such as at the indoor karting) because many people simply do not know what YIELD means. I too am impressed with the manhole covers, I will start having to look for them because I had not seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if the resident that complained about sewage backing up into his and his neighbors basements all the time in the Speedway Press likes the manhole covers ?!

    ReplyDelete