Thursday, July 6, 2017

Gov. Holcomb & Drug Treatment

"We're not going to arrest our way out of the opioid crisis."

So says Gov. Holcomb, a man for whom I have much respect. While I tend to disagree with the Republican party on many things, their choice to put Eric Holcomb at the helm of the State of Indiana is one decision that I wholeheartedly endorse.

Readers of this blog may be familiar with my previous post regarding drug addiction, i.e. it's not a moral failure. I believe that drug addiction should be treated as a public health crisis, not unlike obesity, instead of a criminal justice problem.

In that light, I was very pleased to see this. Some excerpts:
Governor Eric Holcomb announced Wednesday that Indiana’s Family and Social Services Administration’s drug treatment program will be opening five new facilities in Allen, Johnson, Monroe, Vigo and Tippecanoe Counties.
“This is how we are going to attack this problem. We are going to put people first. Even those who are surrounded by darkness,” said Gov. Holcomb.
Bravo Governor! I particularly like the comment about "those who are surrounded by darkness." Anyone who has ever witnessed a loved one struggle with addiction can certainly sympathize with the "darkness" referenced. I'm also heartened to hear the rhetoric about putting people first.

I see this as a refreshing alternative to the "lock 'em up" approach championed by Atty. General Curtis Hill, among many others.

8 comments:

  1. After research, I have found that the extra treatment options are to open methadone clinics in these locations. Not a good option but a step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work!
    Addiction Rehab Thousand Islands

    ReplyDelete
  3. including reasonable comments here... drug rehab

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful article, thanks for putting this together! This is obviously one great post. Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have so provided here.
    drug rehab Los-Angeles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. drug treatment programs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Extremely ,This is a magnificent post. I appreciated the data parcel. I will bookmark this page. A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing this vital data
    couples halfway houses | couples sober living

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. substance abuse detox blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replenish 360 offers one of the most affordable wellness and preventative services that are personalized and one of the most activating one-of-a-kind IV drip, IV Therapy CA Desert Hot Springs CA, IV Hydration Desert Hot Springs CA and infusions, vitamin and antioxidant supplementation, micronutrient therapy, and other additional supplementary wellness services to “renew your body, refresh your mind, and restore performance.”

    ReplyDelete