Tuesday, December 5, 2017

He Spent YOUR Money on WHAT?

I am sure that I am not the first person to see this:
A former Speedway official is accused of misappropriating thousands of dollars’ worth of city funds.
A special investigation report filed Monday by the state cites dozens of instances between January 1, 2012, and December 31, 2015, where Kenneth Harris had used or not correctly recorded the use of city funds. 
According to the audit, Harris owes the city of Speedway almost $20,000 for undocumented purchases, cell phone bills and other expenses. Harris is also being charged for the cost of the investigation into his charges.  
The report includes undocumented credit card purchases cell phone, travel and reimbursement expenses and over-contributions to his Health Spending Account. 
I have heard general rumors regarding Mr. Harris before, though I have refrained from discussing them on this blog for a variety of reasons. First, I do not know Mr. Harris; I've never met him; I've never had any dealings with him; I don't know much of anything about his policies. I am absolutely willing to trash an elected (or appointed) official because of his/her policies. I am absolutely willing to trash someone because of his/her behavior. I try not to trash people based on rumors I have heard about them. So, I have refrained discussing Mr. Harris' doings on this blog.

Additionally, while I had heard about this particular at least a year ago, I know that accusing someone of illegal activity is defamation per se, and the last thing I need is the Speedway Old Boys Network (TM) reigning misery down on me in the form of a lawsuit.
Credit

Thank you to the astute commenter who pointed this out. The people of this Town need to know what is being done in their name, and what those who purport to act in their name are doing. This is your tax money that they are spending, whether it is on "undocumented and unsupported credit card purchases," large pieces of property near Crawfordsville Rd. and I-465, or parking garages that they finance for wealthy developers.

While I have significant differences with the publishers of the Speedway Town Press, I applaud their efforts to engage people in Speedway politics. As I've said before, when we mindlessly vote our national party preference in local elections, we wind up with "representatives" who could, literally, not care less about what we as voters think; our "representatives" only care about what the party insiders and donors think. While I don't know this for a fact, I presume that Mr. Harris maintains some pull around Speedway; I believe his wife is the head of the Speedway Chamber of Commerce. I can't help but speculate as to the level of influence he continues to exert on our public policy in Speedway.

As a final note, I have heard additional musings regarding Mr. Harris' past dealings. I will not, however, divulge what I have heard, as it is no more than a rumor. See above.

5 comments:

  1. Yes I’ve heard the rumors too . Come on , any right minded individual knows that you do not use public money for personal uses. It doesn’t really matter what his policies and political beliefs are . It’s a basic right from wrong that you learn in elementary school ! Mr Harris failed the town , used our money and apparently felt he had the right to do so . That’s some major character flaws , if you ask me . Stealing , lying , masking the truth , feeling of entitlement to misuse funds .

    And so also did the former Fire Chief a couple years ago !!!!! Pitiful . And I bet they wouldn’t feel bad about it except that they got CAUGHT and have to pay it back . I guess the town doesn’t press charges ? You tell me TabletopJoe ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is actually the prosecutor who presses charges; however, I am sure the wishes of the town council will hold weight with the prosecutor and they only want the money back. This will be the 3rd time an audit has shown Harris as misappropriating funds. The first time, he just didn't know any better, the 2nd time he had to pay it back and one wonder's what the third time will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m fearing the corruption goes deep

    ReplyDelete