Friday, November 3, 2017

My Letter to the Journal Gazette, published 11-2-17

As I've noted before, I tend to write letters to the Ft. Wayne Journal Gazette more often than I write letters to the Indy Star. Perhaps it's because I grew up in Ft. Wayne. I don't know. Anyway, here is the text:

I have read in The Journal Gazette and elsewhere recently that NFL players have a First Amendment right to kneel for the national anthem. I suppose they do, but it is entirely beside the point. The government is not threatening repercussions for their kneeling.
We all have First Amendment rights to free speech. This guarantees us the right to express ourselves without having to fear government retribution. The First Amendment does not deal with private actors, including employers. Unfortunately, if your boss wants to fire you for being a Democrat, the First Amendment won't protect you. If Jerry Jones wants to fire his quarterback for kneeling during the national anthem, the First Amendment won't stop him.
The NFL players' protests are, in my opinion, respectful and tasteful. I see nothing in their actions that demeans the troops, first responders, firefighters, apple pie or anything else people consider to be “all American.” They seem simply to be expressing the radical notion that duly empowered law enforcement officers should not be so cavalier when shooting members of their community. I hope they continue to kneel as long as they feel the need to do so.
Nonetheless, let's be clear about what the First Amendment does and does not protect: It protects your speech from restrictions by the government; it does not protect your speech from restrictions by overbearing bosses.
TABLETOP JOE
Speedway
Former Fort Wayne resident

No comments:

Post a Comment