Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Bike Lanes & Golf Carts - Compatibility

My sole regular reader (Hi "Anonymous") pointed out that I have advocated for both bike lanes as well as the ability to use golf carts to get around Speedway. I see no reason why these two things are or would be incompatible.

As I noted in my bike lanes post, I envision them being essentially "laid on top" of the current streets. I would say the same thing with respect to preferred golf cart routes.

I tend to think that having people ride bikes on Crawfordsville Rd., Lynhurst, High School Rd., Cunningham, etc., is a good option only for those with a death wish. For the rest of us, I think that residential streets are the way to go, and all we need are safe ways to cross the aforementioned "busy" streets.

Again, I ask, how nice would it be if you could hop in your golf cart and drive from Mug n' Bun (barf) to McGilvery's? How about taking a bike ride from Speed Bakery to YoguLatte?

These are ideas that require barely any financial outlay; they merely require vision. Where are our town councilors on this? I can't imagine that the necessary paint to mark these routes as bike/golf cart routes, plus the added pedestrian crosswalk on the busy streets (i.e. Crawfordsville/Winton; 15th/Lynhurst), could be as expensive as the cost to remove but a few dead trees in Meadowood Park (which also needs to be done, but that's a post for another day).

No comments:

Post a Comment