Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Speedway Farmers' Market

The "farmers' market" or "market in the park" in Meadowood Park is over.

What took it this long to die?

Don't get me wrong, I believe that Speedway needs and deserves to have a good farmers' market. Maybe it would be even better to have it somewhere indoors . . . perhaps one of the schools?

Speedway is a small town that seems to be rather tight knit; there is more enthusiasm here for supporting local business than any of the (many) other places I've lived over the years. So, reason no. 1 for a Speedway Farmer's Market? Speedway would support it.

Many would say, "But they didn't support the one at Meadowood Park . . .". They would be right, but there is a reason people didn't support the one at Meadowood. For starters, it was only once per month. How can you develop a habit of doing something only once per month, for one season a year? In other words, how can I make a habit of something I do four times a year? That's not a habit; that's a few isolated, repeated behaviors.

Second, Sunday? Really? Sunday is a day to be home with the family, go to church, etc. Saturday is the day for errands. That's why kids' swim lessons are on Saturday. That's why the city market has its downtown market on Saturday. Need I go on?

Third, because it is only once a month and, thus, I can't make a habit of it, so too is its rarity preclusive to vendors' making a habit of attending. People vend at farmers' markets because they want the money. Once a month is a hobby. Once a week is an income source.

In sum, I believe that Speedway would support a farmers' market. I believe that the reason the market in Meadowood didn't garner sufficient support is that it was too rare, both for vendors and customers, and it was on Sunday. I would love to see Speedway to a farmers' market. Perhaps in the parking lot at Kroger? It's an enormous waste of space parking lot.

I have read that Carol Wellman is starting a community garden group. Perhaps she has something in the offing? I certainly hope it goes over well.

No comments:

Post a Comment