Saturday, March 25, 2017

Hoosier BBQ

I have nothing but good things to say about Bourbon & Barbecue. I am super impressed by their local beer list, as well as their bourbon list. As far as their BBQ goes, I tell people that it is sufficient. This is Indiana, not Kansas City or Texas. We don't fetishize BBQ here the way they do there. Nonetheless, I think Bourbon & Barbecue holds up well to every other place in the city.

But this post is not about Barbecue & Bourbon. This post is about Speedway. I think that we need a Barbecue competition in Speedway; it would be especially awesome if we could do some sort of a Pro-Am tournament.

I think that this would help create community cohesiveness, and could be a vehicle whereby the community raises money for some good cause or another. I imagine having a dozen or so entrants in Leonard or Meadowood Park, or maybe along Main Street; engage a few rock n' roll bands to play; have a brewery or two serve beer.

I imagine having 3-4 categories of competition: ribs, chicken, pulled pork, brisket. I, for one, would definitely enter some pulled pork, and maybe some chicken. As far as the money goes, perhaps the contestants pay an entry fee and the people who come to the competition either buy a plate or pay a "judge's fee" so that they can have samples of all the different entrants and vote thereupon. Perhaps we could engage IMS or Allison as corporate partners to help underwrite.

As far as the "prize," I think it would be more of a bragging rights prize than anything. I don't imagine we would be able to involve enough money to make it "worth" the money for people who would only do this for the money. As for me, I'd rather have a trophy that gets passed around every year and the bragging rights that go along with it than a hundred bucks or so.

Just a thought on this beautiful Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment