Wednesday, March 15, 2017

An Open Letter to the President

Mr. President,

I voted against you in 2016 and will likely vote against you in 2020. My reasons for doing so are my own, but I'd like to share with you the thing you could do to get my vote, and millions of others, in 2020.

Institute single-payer national health insurance.

We currently spend approximately twice as much per capita as other wealthy nations on healthcare, yet we still (even after Obamacare) don't cover all of our citizens. How is it that other countries spend less per person and still manage to cover all people? As you would say in other contexts, we're getting ripped off.

Currently, my family's health insurance premium is almost as much as my mortgage. An illness would bankrupt my family. I would add that you need not feel bad for us, as we're doing pretty well. I'm an educated professional who is gainfully employed, yet we're still no more than a single illness away from bankruptcy.

All of this talk about "choice" in health insurance is fine and good, but what choice will a 55 year old me have when I can only afford, for example, prostate cancer coverage or cardiology coverage, but not both? Should I alternate between coverage each year and have my claims denied under the "known loss"/pre-existing condition doctrine?

Richard Nixon went to China, something a Democrat could never do. Mr. Trump, you could institute single-payer healthcare and save us all 30-50% on our healthcare bills. You campaigned on being a different kind of Republican. You campaigned on negotiating better deals on behalf of regular Americans.

You, of all people, could finally put to rest this notion that America has the "best healthcare system in the world," outcomes (26th best life expectancy, right behind Slovenia) and cost (approximately twice what other wealthy nations spend per capita) notwithstanding.

Now is the time. Put up or shut up. You ran as an anti-elitist outsider. Now is the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment