Friday, May 4, 2018

On Golf Carts

A discussion erupted on Next Door regarding how people intend to get their guests to IMS on Race Day. Someone asked whether golf carts are allowed in Speedway, and the consensus appeared to be that they are not. I have reviewed the municipal code and see no reason to disagree with the consensus.

Of course, I can't help but question why it is that golf carts are outlawed in Speedway. I did a bit of research on golf carts a few years ago for a lawsuit I was defending, and I came across the following information: Indiana Code § 9-21-8-57 provides that "A golf cart or off-road vehicle may not be operated on a highway except in accordance with: (1) an ordinance adopted under IC 9-21-1-3(a)(14) and IC 9-21-1-3.3(a) authorizing the operation of a golf cart or an off-road vehicle on the highway; or (2) IC 14-16-1-20 authorizing an off-road vehicle to operate on a highway."

So, the fact that golf carts can't be driven in Speedway is a function of local choice. My question is, does this choice reflect the will of the community? I wonder whether this has ever been considered.

Of course, the Next Door forum focused on Race Day. Maybe Speedway would be wise to allow golf carts only on Race Day; maybe Speedway would be wise to allow golf carts on any day except Race Day. 

Frankly, I don't know.

What I do know, however, is that Speedway has the right to pass an ordinance allowing residents to travel around on golf carts. The fact that it has not reflects on the priorities of our elected town council. My question is whether that reflects the priorities of the town council's constituents (i.e. the residents of Speedway). I, for one, would fully support an ordinance allowing residents to use golf carts on public streets within the town, particularly if such ordinances only allowed for golf carts to traverse, but not drive on, the main roads such as Lynhurst, Crawfordsville, etc. 

Anyway, those are my thoughts on golf carts. I don't own one, but I probably would buy one if I had the opportunity to drive it to my kids' local events, high school events, main street events, etc. Taking people to the race? I guess . . . but it's not even close to my primary concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment