Thursday, May 3, 2018

Bootstraps and Ladders

I hear clueless well-intentioned members of my parents' generation (Baby Boomers) often lamenting that "the kids these days" want everything "given to them" and they're "afraid of hard work." While I point out to them that in the early 1980s, my father had one mortgage payment (our family home), most people of my generation carry three (home, health insurance, student loan). While I fully recognize that members of my parents' generation paid for health insurance through the 1980s and 1990s, the cost of same at that time was comparable to county tax withholdings, whereas it is now comparable to a mortgage payment.

In light of that, I offer this quote from a recent piece in The Atlantic:
 Drawing almost no attention, the nation crossed an ominous milestone last year that threatens more economic polarization and social division: For the first time, public colleges and universities in most states received most of their revenue from tuition rather than government appropriations.
This historic shift away from tax dollars funding the bulk of public higher education comes precisely as the nation’s youth population is crossing a succession of milestones to become more racially diverse than ever. As statisticians would say, it’s an open question whether these twin trends represent an example of causation or just correlation. But whether resources are shrinking because diversity is growing, or the two trends are proceeding independently, their convergence is still a dangerous development—not only for higher education, but also for the nation’s economic future.
I used to have a coach who would give us a similar speech before big games, the theme of which is "this is the time to define what kind of competitor you are." Similarly, I worked for a litigator who told me before a big trial that "now is the time to define what kind of a lawyer you are."

Well, with respect to funding for higher education, "this is the time for us to decide what kind of a country we are." Are we a country that believes that education is worth spending money on, or are we the kind of country that treats education like any other consumer product, i.e. you can have it if you pay for it? Do we treat education as a public good or a private indulgence?

As for me, I intend to stay on the side of history that is willing to pay taxes for education for other people's kids. As for me, I saw my property tax bill and noted that I contribute somewhere in the $550-$600 for the entire year to Speedway Public Schools. This is less than I pay for health insurance for a month and I fully intend to give generously to Speedway Public Schools going forward. I believe that education is a public good. That someone I've never met is well educated has positive spin offs for me, whether that is in the form of higher tax receipts, innovation, or simply keeping that person away from a life of crime (that would eventually involve me providing room & board, i.e. state prison).

Anyone who has read this blog knows my feelings about public education, that I am a supporter. My question is, though, what is the argument against funding public education? Surely there are those who believe that we as a society should not do so. What is the line of reasoning for that?

No comments:

Post a Comment