Sunday, February 18, 2018

Self Dealing

As any reader of this blog knows, I am a supporter of the efforts by the Redevelopment Commission. Full stop.

I am also a fan of using government to make its citizens' lives better. Full stop.

However, as to both topics (really, the Redevelopment Commission is a sub-topic of the "use government to make peoples' lives better" topic), it is entirely destroyed if one uses such interventions for personal enrichment.

I do now know the veracity of this, but I have heard that a former member of the Redevelopment Commission has bought as many liquor licenses as possible in Speedway through his participation in the commission. As I said at the outset, I don't have an opinion on the veracity of this rumor, and I know that rumors can spread through this small town quicker than wildfire.

Nonetheless, my point is that we live in a time of such cynicism toward our own government that a significant plurality of the society sincerely believes that "government is the problem," and would rather turn our labor laws over to the roofing subcontractors of the world, our environmental laws over to the oil refiners of the world, and our financial laws over to the payday lenders of the world. Self dealing, as described above, only makes this cynicism worse.

If you know about public officials' self dealing, please let me know and I will do my best to publicize it insofar as I am able. I believe we are fortunate to have ethical leadership here in Speedway. However, I am troubled by this rumor and sincerely aim to be vigilant with respect to the government's fulfillment of duties toward the citizenry.

1 comment:

  1. I do not know who the person is but I wonder if it’s the same person who years ago bought a building on Main while seated on the Town Council and sold it back to the town for four times as much .... it was posted in the Press. The problem is that there is a small number of educated people who care about these self serving officials we have running this town and there’s a huge number of people who are really either just below middle class or struggling to make ends meet . The small number of “ educated “ or people who know how they can rig the system so they can get away with crap ( like we saw on the TV recently about the SRC member ) know this about Speedway . So it’s a hot bed for embezzlement, laundering the money , playing switcheroo with facts , receipts etc .....heck I bet even forming a group and buying property under false pretenses ! I’ve been told real estate is a dirty business, especially redevelopment. This is all my opinion , of course .
    As far as the liquor license thing ? That’s interesting because my husband and I went to Foyts to get an after dinner drink this past Friday . We were talking to one of the managers . I asked her why Mr Lino’s had closed . She said that she didn’t know but that they had several liquor license violations , she said they had young kids in management there . Also she mentioned that “ you know a town can only have a certain number of liquor licenses “ I had not heard the rumor you speak of , but maybe she was prompting a conversation ? Idk ...

    ReplyDelete