Friday, February 23, 2018

Arming Teachers?

This might be the stupidest idea I've ever heard. I'm a former teacher; I didn't get into teaching so I could carry a gun to work. If I wanted to do that, I would've grown a mustache and joined the Army or become a cop.

As to anyone who supports this idea, I will tell you in precise detail why this is such a stupid idea as soon as you explain to me in precise detail why the gun show loophole (which, frankly, would allow the head of ISIS to buy an assault rifle at the Pepsi Coliseum, no questions asked) shouldn't be closed, and why the assault weapon ban shouldn't be reinstated.

Once you're done defending those two indefensible things, I will defend the utterly reasonable position that teachers should not be compelled to be soldiers.

Further, we know that those who suggest arming teachers aren't serious, aren't sincere, and don't mean to do anything because they (a) have not actually introduced any legislation and (b) refuse to address the actual bills that Congress could actually pass right now.

I mean, just look at what the super-majority Republican IN legislature did in the wake of the latest mass school shooting: made it so that people could bring guns into schools that share physical space with churches.

1 comment:

  1. Yes it’s stupid . Real stupid . So , let me get this straight , a teacher has to get “ trained “ to operate a gun , target shoot , AND be prepared to kill another human being ? That’s the most ridiculous idea for a solution to the mass murders in schools I have ever heard .

    ReplyDelete