Sunday, April 16, 2017

Easter and the Decline of Religion

It is a beautiful day today. Happy Easter! I have been thinking about the general decline in religiosity in America recently, and I have a theory for why so many people have been turned off from church: partisan politics and certain churches' embrace thereof.

I don't go to church to be told that my liberal views disqualify me from heaven. I'm sure my conservative friends feel much the same.

Of course, this is not an indictment of all, or even most, churches. However, it is an indictment of some of the loudest voices in the room, so to speak. When Ralph Reed, or some other know-nothing jackass, purports to tell me that my behavior disqualifies me from the life everlasting, I am offended; particularly when this charlatan can't be bothered to speak out about Donald Trump's series of marriages and general habit of screwing people over.

My own church is remarkably abstinent when it comes to hot-button political issues: no talk of guns or abortion; prayers for peace; etc. This is not to say that my church doesn't address difficult subjects, but it is an equal-opportunity scold. Not everything is the fault of godless liberals or heartless conservatives. We are all terrible in our own unique ways.

Some thoughts, scattered and incomplete per usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment