Sunday, April 9, 2017

Civic Participation

As a follow up to my post about the Board of Zoning Appeals, I can't help but think that people don't participate in civic matters largely because such matters are so fragmented.

As an example, I believe that Meadowood Park has no fewer than 20 trees that need to be cut down, as they are dead and represent a hazard. How do I get that to happen?

Do I go to a town council meeting?

Do I talk to the Speedway Town Trustee?

Do I speak with the town manager?

Parks Department?

It is likely that there are possibilities that I am missing, but I think the point is clear. There are so many conflicting and different layers to government bureaucracy that most people just throw their hands up and decide not to participate.

I could say something similar with respect to elections. How many people actively learn about the town councilors they vote for? How many people could name all 5, or even a majority, of them? How many people just blindly pull the lever for their preferred party? Not to mention, why do we need elections 3 out of every 4 years? We just had a presidential election. I am not aware of any 2017 elections, but the 2018 election will determine ongoing control of congress. 2019 will see the election of a new mayor in Indianapolis and a new town council in Speedway. Is there any reason why our town council election is not held on the day of the presidential election? Certainly that would boost voter turnout; perhaps that's why it's not held on that day. I don't know.

More scattered thoughts on why, perhaps, people are discouraged from actively participating in their own democracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment