Thursday, February 9, 2017

Thoughts on Redevelopment, Positive and Otherwise

I like it.

America is building itself out a lot faster than it is populating itself.

I think that the ongoing efforts at redevelopment in Speedway have been a net positive. Granted, I did not live her prior to the roundabout at the end of Main Street. However, I had lived in Indianapolis for a long time. Speedway wasn't a place that anyone I knew ever really wanted to go, with the exception of going for a race a few times a year.

Things appear to have changed, and I believe that to be a good thing. I think that it's a good thing that I can take my family out for ice cream on Main street at Yogulatte. I think that it's a good thing that I can go to Charlie Brown's on Saturday morning... particularly since the staff there is so gracious. I think it's a good thing that I can belly up to the rail at Dawson's. I can do all of these things and keep my money right here in Speedway.
Sure makes me want to hang out and spend some money


While we're on the topic of redevelopment, when is it going to spread west along Crawfordsville? The entire complex where the town of Speedway has its annex building is essentially empty, with the exception of Kohls and TJ Maxx.
Going to this Kroger just makes me depressed
The Kroger complex is full, but the stores kind of suck. There is certainly no local flare to anything there, and it all kind of seems to exist to spite us all. This area could certainly use some redevelopment.
Makes me want to run away

While I'm ranting, I am certainly no fan of what has happened on the south side of Crawfordsville near High School Road. The so-called "Speedway Marketplace." The best we can do is a Burger King, a nails place, and a Verizon Store? No Fresh Thyme. No Trader Joe's. No Pogue's Run type of place.

Speedway has shown that it can do big things. Main Street is no joke. Real estate there is appreciating significantly. We host, annually, one of the largest spectator-sports events in the world.

Where are our representatives on this? Town Councilor David Lindsay, where are you? Town Councilor Eileen Fisher, where are you? What is going on as to efforts to spread the redevelopment?

Perhaps it hasn't been fully explained, but the bond issued to redevelop Main Street is a loan that has to be paid back. The plan is to pay that bond back with increased taxes collected on the commercial property on Main Street. The property taxes increase because the project/redevelopment increases the value of the property. Rates don't go up; values do, and you can pay the money back with the increased revenues. However, if the project doesn't work, we ALL get stuck with the bill for the bond. That includes Meadowood Park area, Alison Elementary area, Newby, etc.

I am a fan of the redevelopment. I want it to come to my area. However, if the bill for the party comes due and I never got to participate in the festivities, I will be one pissed off citizen.


No comments:

Post a Comment