Saturday, February 4, 2017

On Main Street Redevelopment

You just cannot convince me that the redevelopment on Main Street has been a net negative for Speedway. Can't do it.

It has been a positive.

As I gather it, Speedway used to be, and still is, marked by its excellent schools and the races. However, there is now something for young adults to do in Speedway now. Having people want to live near Main St. so they can go out to the bars and restaurants is a good thing.



I am glad that I can take my family out for breakfast at Charlie Brown's. It is a good thing that I can get a coffee at Mister Lino's. I feel fortunate to be able to belly up to the rail at Dawson's or Big Woods. Likewise, I'm glad I can get a DareDevil at the brewery, or for a buck less at Bourbon & BBQ. Let's not forget that we have some of the best BBQ in the city here in Speedway.

I do not have scientific data to back this up, but I suspect that home values in the area bounded by Main on the East, 10th on the South, Lynhurst (and definitely Winton) on the West, and 16th/Crawfordsville (not entirely sure where the line should logically be) on the north have risen faster than home values either in the remainder of Speedway or in Marion County generally.

Would I like some other things on Main Street? Absolutely. Would I like the efforts to spread throughout Speedway? No doubt about it.

I am also aware of the "controversy" regarding parking on Main Street. While I generally try to be as respectful as possible of other's opinions, I am continually dumbfounded as to why people believe that they are entitled to free parking anywhere they go.

I will post more in the future on my thoughts re. redevelopment efforts elsewhere in Speedway, parking issues, density, etc.

1 comment:

  1. I agree the redevelopment of Speedway is great. Parking problems are and will be an issue for Main St. I can only assume as in the past that businesses along Main St., will weather the storm. Free parking? Where is the paid parking going in near Main St.?

    ReplyDelete