Monday, February 13, 2017

Speedway Super Center, Pt. 1 of ?

Where to even begin?

I will contend that I hate the Kroger there. This is not intended as a slight to the majority of what I assume to be hardworking employees. Maybe its the management? Regardless, I like Aldi a lot more and only go to Kroger if I have to.
Speedway Super Center, in all of its non-splendid lack of glory (Google Earth)

Presently, there is nothing I actually like about this Shopping Center. As I said above, I will go to Kroger if I have to. I won't enjoy it. I'll go to Petco for dog food, but I won't enjoy it. Maybe I'll get a haircut at Great Clips (only if the Voom Room is closed). I've eaten at Grindstone Charlie's before. I was whelmed, neither over no under. I suppose the oil change places are acceptable. How could one that uses oil not be?

I will note that this critique pointedly does not include either Union Jack or the Pizza Joint, both of which are fine establishments in their own right.

But what could make Speedway Super Center a place that I enjoy patronizing?

Maybe a sewing supply shop or fabric store? I think that would be cool and useful. Along similar lines, if there was a shoe repair shop there, I would patronize that. I go through shoes a lot quicker than I'd like. I know there is a leather shop on H.S. Rd. near McGilvery's. Never been there. Maybe they already do that kind of work. If anyone knows, please advise.

I love The Meat Shop on Washington Street; there's no way that such a place wouldn't be a smashing success in Speedway. People love to BBQ here. Come to think of it, perhaps Speedway, IN, is the official home of Summer. One would think that a place in Speedway that sold good steaks and fresh cuts of meat and seafood would do fanstastically. I'd probably go there twice a week.

Anyway, what else would I use?

No doubt, I would patronize a used guitar/vinyl record shop. I don't know if such things are economically viable any more, what with e-bay, etc., but I'd sure love to have a shop like that here. Maybe they could (and probably would) add some "cash" items, such as cigarettes, smoking accessories, or something, to keep the cash flow going. It kind of starts bleeding into "head shop" territory at that point, and I'm not sure the area needs another one of those. Of course, the possibility always exists that I'm wrong.

If there was a small steak house, I think I'd go there. Especially if they had good wine and desserts, and a swanky bar. I'd think it would have to qualify as date-night caliber, but frankly, I'm not that difficult to please. As with most things, I'd probably like it a lot more if it was a locally owned place rather than a large chain. I can't help but think such a thing in this shopping center may very well be a pipe dream, but who knows?

What about a locally owned hardware store, or would the big box stores drive them out of business?

A live-music joint would be pretty interesting to see. I don't know what kind of spin-off effects that would have on the neighborhood, though. I suppose, like anything, the devil is in the details; how it is done will dictate its results. I went to the HiFi the other night for a show, and that was a super cool spot. Nonetheless, this isn't Fountain Square, for better and for worse.

I'm a bit shocked that there is not a classic used car lot somewhere in Speedway. Not that I'm a huge fan of used car lots, but of all places on earth to be able to buy a hot rod . . . .

A guy can dream, I suppose, of shrinking the parking lot to put in green space of sorts.

If they don't do that, perhaps they could start using the parking lot productively. I remember when I was a teenager in Ft. Wayne, some of the lower-tier shopping centers would host live free concerts with the local radio stations. I guess the idea was to get some publicity for the shopping plaza. It seems that now they could do something similar but also use it to attract food trucks. I'm not entirely sure how the money would work: maybe shopping center pays radio/band to come out, rents space to food trucks/vendors to defray costs? Not sure. Nonetheless, I know that the concerts in Meadowood Park are fairly well attended, so perhaps that evidences a local enthusiasm for such events.

These are just some scattered thoughts. I would love to see this shopping center thrive, but at the moment, it just doesn't appear to be doing so. Dollar stores, medicaid facilities, beauty colleges/supply shops, cafeteria food, mattress outlet . . . none of it excites me. I'd like to be excited about the nearest shopping plaza.

Anyway, those are some preliminary thoughts. I'm sure I'll have more.

No comments:

Post a Comment