Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Read THIS, if nothing else today

By which, I mean this piece that ran in Slate recently about the state of American education. It was written by a guy who was a finalist for National Teacher of the Year.

A few highlights:
Society sends deeply conflicting messages to students: We tell them nothing in life matters more than education, while we treat the people who educate them as largely interchangeable, disposable parts. 
Indeed. Imagine, for a moment, that we treated teachers as "professionals" who have gone to school for may years to do their jobs. Imagine if we showed them the same respect that we demand our kids show them.
When we read reports about “high turnover at low-income schools,” this is a euphemism. It means that low-income kids, predominantly brown and black, constantly get new, inexperienced teachers. And there’s a growing frustration within the ranks of teachers over unsustainable workloads and untenable work conditions. Teachers in my circles have sought greener pastures: a technical writer, a project manager, and a corporate trainer. Effective teachers have options.
I would like to think that I was an effective teacher. Note that I say was.

After seven (7) years in the classroom, I too "sought greener pastures." I am by no means wealthy now, but I make approximately 2-3X what I did as a teacher, and NO, I don't work more or harder than I used to.
 This all points to a crisis in the teaching profession. If the “Teachers of the Year” feel this way, imagine what it’s like for millions of teachers toiling in low-income urban and rural schools across the country.
For the record, I believe that "low-income urban and rural schools" can be applied to nearly every public school in Indianapolis with the exception of North Central H.S. I used to teach at Decatur Central H.S. and I know that I received favorable treatment as to my student loan because it was characterized as a "low-income" school.
As a teacher, I hope you understand this lesson: Teaching is a profession, and great teachers need to feel respected and empowered. If they don’t, they will leave—and they should.
I think that is the most important point. If you treat teachers like shit, the ones with options will go elsewhere. And they should. Talented, smart people should not be subjected to the low pay, long hours, and constant disrespect that our public school teachers get.

I, for one, fully appreciate the teachers who enabled me to get ahead in life; the teachers who toil away teaching my own children so that I can go make a living as a litigator; and the teachers with whom I used to work (and for whom I have the utmost respect).

If you are a teacher and see me out at a bar, please come say hi to me. I'd love to buy you a drink.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment