Friday, January 19, 2018

53/47

I remember a few years ago when a favorite talking point among my conservative friends was that 47% of Americans "don't even pay any taxes." As discussed yesterday a bit, that is not remotely true. All Americans that work pay payroll taxes. All Americans that drive pay fuel taxes. All Americans who buy things pay sales taxes. The "any taxes" that my conservative friends liked to reference was confined solely to federal income taxes.

Now, calling something the "federal income tax" is a bit misleading because, as we know, the payroll tax is levied on your income as well, it's just called something different.

Anyway, I just got my W-2 for 2017 and thought it would be enlightening to discuss the distribution of all taxes I paid on my income in 2017.

My W-2 taxes, which of course does not capture sales taxes, property taxes, etc. (including health insurance) amount to approximately 26% of my income.

Of the total W-2 taxes paid, the breakdown is as follows:

  • 49% in Federal Income tax
  • 25% in Social Security Tax 
  • 13% in State of IN tax
  • 7% local income tax
  • 6% in Medicare tax
I consider myself fortunate to have an income large enough to create a federal income tax liability. I also expect to get a refund, as I generally choose to have more withheld so that I can get a refund, as opposed to having less withheld so that I get a bill. Nonetheless, take a look at that distribution and recognize that when people don't pay federal income taxes, they still pay a lot of other taxes; and this is only the taxes that are withheld. Again, this does not include taxes that are paid on the spot, such as sales taxes.

One final point: If you include what I spent on health insurance premiums in the past year, I paid an income tax rate of 34%. If you include both health insurance premiums and deductibles, I paid 42% on income taxes. Note, this amount does not include the amount that my law firm has paid for my health insurance; this is simply the amount that I pay in cash to insure my wife and children. By that math, you could rather easily increase the deductive taxation on me from 26% - 42% and give me public instead of private health insurance, and the only thing that would change for me would be that I no longer need to worry that my coverage will be rescinded.

No comments:

Post a Comment