Friday, September 29, 2017

Taxes - Pt. 6

Here is the next part of what the GOP tax "reform" purports to do:

DOUBLES THE STANDARD DEDUCTION AND ENHANCES THE CHILD TAX CREDIT 

 The framework roughly doubles the standard deduction so that typical middle-class families will keep more of their paycheck. It also significantly increases the Child Tax Credit. 
I certainly have no problem with doubling of my standard deduction or increasing the Child Tax Credit. I do, however, wonder whether this will be paid for in any way. Money isn't free, you know. If they double my standard deduction and increase the Child Tax Credit, that nominally lowers my tax bill. However, as I've stated before, I'd prefer not to save $100/year in taxes if that means that I will get his with an additional $5,000/year in tuition bills or have my children attend sub-par schools. Also, the next time Speedway Public Schools come calling with a referendum, understand why they need more money: they are getting less from the state, which is getting less from the feds.

As to this, I would say on its merits I have no problem with it. However, to repeat myself, tax cuts aren't free, and only a fool accepts them without inquiring as to what expenditure will be cut as a result. Despite what Hannity, Limbaugh, and FoxNews (FakeNews) claim, if you cut taxes, you have to either cut spending or incur debt. It's called "math."

3 comments:

  1. Well I agree but I'm telling you we have LOTS of glommers on the welfare and food stamp rolls . I always said I'd dig graves/ditches for a living if I had to . Thankfully I do not have to although I've got 8 more years til 65 in the healthcare field . Hopefully I can make it , but healthcare workers in the future will NEVER make what I'm making , gauranteed.
    I have a problem with Speedway Schools , they obviously use their referendum money to pay their teachers exorbitantly . I've heard that they are the highest paid in Marion County . And they are all either related or live in Speedway and know someone ( some VIP ) which looks really bad . I wouldn't move here for the schools as I think all their faux " alcollades " about how good they are are BS . Yeah , if you want your kid to be the " big white fish " ( emphasis on white ) in a small pond ... okay ... but watch out when they go to college and actually experience real life ! You'd be better off sending them to a large public school . Many from Speedway do not complete college ! And you can bet that the schools will be asking for more money regardless of a new tax code ... it's proven ... history proves it .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really think that Speedway pays their teachers exorbitantly? You truly think that ANY school teacher is paid exorbitantly? The lowest full time teacher salary in Speedway for this year is $44,252; highest is $86,702. Their master contract is available online.

    For comparison sake, a first-year associate at Ice Miller or Barnes & Thornburg STARTS at $100,000/year, straight out of law school. That is higher than you can EVER get teaching at Speedway.

    Further, inasmuch as Speedway pays more than other schools in Marion Co., GOOD! I want Speedway to be the place where the best of the best teachers want to go.

    Also, your comments about VIPs are fair enough, but that doesn't differentiate Speedway from Carmel or Zionsville. Those schools are staffed with their own alumni.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think $44,000 to $86,000 is a very high salary for someone who has summers off ( unless they are year round , then they get several breaks ) weekends off , holidays off , two weeks off at Christmas , special teacher days off and half days off ..... have bankers hours ....I could go on .
    I'm betting the lawyer works longer hours , has much much more work related stress than a teacher . Just my opinion .

    ReplyDelete