Saturday, September 30, 2017

On Puerto Rico

I have seen a lot about our government's response to the hurricane that struck Puerto Rico, replete with the unflattering comparisons to its response to the hurricanes that struck Texas and Florida. While I have no doubt that our president views Puerto Rico as less authentically "real" American than "his" voters in TX and FL, I do not think that the government's response to the hurricane is a manifestation of our president's racism.

I think it's a manifestation of his childishly short attention span.

When the first hurricane hit, he was all over it; tweeting, sending in resources, etc.

When the second hurricane hit, he was on it; maybe not to the same degree as before, but FL has a long history of responding to hurricanes and it likely did not seem like much of a fall off because of that.

By the time the third hurricane hit Puerto Rico, the president was on to other things, real (N. Korea) and contrived (NFL).

I agree that President Trump is terrible; I just find him to be terrible for different reasons than many others in this particular instance.

1 comment: