Friday, January 18, 2019

On Karen Pence

So, apparently Karen Pence has attracted a bunch of attention for going to teach art at a Christian school in the D.C. area that doesn't allow gay people . . . to work or learn there.

A few thoughts:

1. This is not about Freedom of Religion

I really don't care whether a private school chooses to exclude gay people. I think they're jerks for it, but my opinion is in the same class as theirs . . . that which is protected by the Constitution. Now, if we start talking about that school getting public money, we have a big problem; that's an argument for another day.

2. This is a Revealed Preference

I may say that I love salad, but if I order fried chicken every time, my revealed preference is fried chicken; my stated preference is salad. Karen Pence (and her husband) may say that they want the best for every child, but at the end of the day, they're only willing to help certain children who believe the way they do.

Again, that is their prerogative. I can't force Mike Pence to be "woke." Nonetheless, I think that I play fair when I use this to gauge the sincerity of some of Mike Pence's proclamations about the dignity of all human beings. Does he really mean "all" human beings, or does he mean all "human beings" (as defined by him and his teachings).

After all, Karen Pence could've chosen to teach at an inner-city school in the D.C. area. Remember when the D.C. basketball team was the Bullets, and they changed the name because they didn't want to feed a stereotype? I'm sure Karen Pence could've found an inner-city school that would welcome her with open arms. Surely she doesn't need the money she gets from part-time teaching at a private school. She could use her stature and position to advocate for something important.

She revealed her preference.

3. This Feeds a Stereotype

As both readers know, TableTopJoe used to be a teacher and was infuriated when teaching is treated as a hobby.

Teaching is not a hobby. Stop treating (and paying) it like it is. Karen Pence does this and feeds into the stereotype that teacher salaries don't need to be competitive because the teacher is not the "bread winner" of the family. F*** that. That is misogyny at its worst.

Teaching is a bona fide profession, no less than litigating. I am now a professional litigator, and I was a former teacher. I don't work any harder now than I ever have. It's time to stop treating teaching as though it is some sort of a junior varsity profession. It's not.

Feel where your mouth is; then put some money there.


Conclusion

TableTopJoe Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment