Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Commercial Property on Main St.

I keep hearing about how the incumbent business owners on Main St. are being harmed by the redevelopment thereof. I keep getting confused about what their problem is.


This is two distinct parcels on Main Street. Clearly, the picture is dated, as the building that used to house the Town Press now houses Tacos & Tequila (I can't wait . . . sounds so delicious), and the vacant lot to the right now houses O'Reilly's (here again . . . ) and Wilcox Engineering (unaffiliated with "Wilshaw," by the way).

Anyway, I choose these two properties because they are two of the original properties on Main, in their more-or-less original state. These properties were assessed, for taxation purposes, at $69,900 (on the left) and $37,800 (on the right). Links to the publicly-available property tax assessments can be found here and here.

Based on that property assessment, one could own both of these buildings for $107,700. Call me skeptical on that, and my skepticism was born out.

Just today, I was perusing the internet and came upon this listing. For those who prefer not to click through, the listing is for Ted's Beauty Shop, located at 1344 Main St..

This property is presently assessed, for tax purposes, at $99,100, as of 2016. The asking price for the property is currently $489,000.

By my calculations, that is an increase of approximately 493%. Someone, PLEASE, explain to me what it is that the property owners along Main St. have to complain about. I can think of approximately 389,900 reasons why the owner of Ted's Beauty Shop (Stella Szatkowski) should be supportive of Main Street's redevelopment.

Similarly, I can think of plenty of reasons why the incumbent property owners along Main Street should be, give or take, 493% supportive of the redevelopment efforts.

Finally, please note that the property just to the south of Ted's Beauty Shop is owned by the Speedway Redevelopment Commission. It was bought in June, 2015, for $65,000, according to tax records. I will be interested to see the final sale price for Ted's Beauty Shop, but based on the asking price, it appears that the efforts of the Redevelopment Commission are bearing fruit. Keep up the good work!

4 comments:

  1. I heard that the owner of Ted's passed away.
    I've seen activity at the old Speedway Family Physicians and also noticed a for sale sign at the lawyers office there . I also noticed a for sale sign in one half of the Speedway Antique Mall aka flea market . I am happy with Main Street and am forever grateful that my husband and I have some nice places to eat close .... I remain a tad skeptical about the Hotel/apartments /condos, but figure the race teams or owners will buy the condos or IMS .... I just hope the apartments remain nice ... the town has quite enough section 8 apartments .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for generous commentary regarding Main Street redevelopment. I maintain silent support for any town redeveloping, especially Speedway, my domicile. May you please comment on new establishments since redevelopment inception selling alcohol on Main Street against no alcohol? Additionally, please compare aforementioned to Main Street extra events too. I am certainly perplexed when comparing Speedway to other similarly situated municipalities undergoing redevelopment throughout central Indiana. I am not advocating prohibition. Thank you in advance! David, Speedway, Indiana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to discuss that, I feel strongly about this and so really like getting to know more on this kind of field. Do you mind updating your blog post with additional insight? It should be really useful for all of us.
    Muslim Wedding Dresses

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very interesting content! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your points and have come to the conclusion that you are right about many of them. You are great.
    קוסמטיקאית

    ReplyDelete